Monday, June 16, 2008

Energy Wasters

I'm really not a tree hugger or environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, however, I went with my girlfriend to Ann Taylor's Loft at The Grove West in Shrewsbury, NJ Friday night to do some shopping and something really bugged me as soon as I walked into the store. I didn't have to open a door, they were wedged open for me.

Inside, the air conditioning was surely working perfectly as it was nice and cool, just the way I like it and certainly more comfortable, for me at least, than the hot and humid conditions outside. Also inside were some (presumably minimum wage) workers who are certainly going home to complain about having to pay $4/gallon for gas.

As a note to these people, I closed the front doors for you and you're welcome. If I'm going to be paying $4.23/gallon for gas this morning, the least you can do is not waste energy. If it is too cold in the store, turn the air conditioning down, or off. If you're just too cold, go stand outside and leave the door closed.

I'll be very honest, I really could care less about the amount of fossil fuel we burn here in the US or the global warming we cause when other developing nations are burning so much more and doing so much more damage. However, I do really care about the cost of fossil fuels and you wasting energy by propping the 12ft tall double glass doors open to the 90+ degree weather outside with the AC blasting 30 degree air inside is not helping MY wallet get any thicker.

For everyone else, if you have your AC on at home, make sure your doors and windows are closed, not because I care about YOUR energy bill or the pollution from using energy, but because I'm tired of paying so much for energy.

No comments: