Tuesday, July 8, 2008

NJ to Feds - Start Drilling!


Hey Look at us! We're OLD! And we won't be
around to see the mess we make 10 years from now!

The worst newspaper in the world had a big article on this morning's front cover claiming N.J. to feds: Don't drill on us. If the ridiculous comments section provided by the APP is any indication, then I suspect that the APP must have a lot of readers who do not live in NJ as it would appear that the majority of NJ tax payers are saying "drill drill drill drill drill", go figure. The same story seems to hold true at the StarLedger/NJ.com. U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, U.S. Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez and Gov. Jon S. Corzine are all out of touch with NJ tax payers. This news of course posted on July 8th, 2008 - in other news, AAA-NJ just announced that according to their data, cost of a gallon of regular gasoline hit $4/gallon for the first time in NJ today.

Being the truth-seeker I am, I did some Googling and found a site listing oil rig disasters. It doesn't appear that oil rig disasters are very common these days as some environmentalists want us to believe. It would appear that a large majority of the accidents are from the late 60s, 70s and early 80s. The 90s and 00s seem to be reasonably safe. More over, it would seem that for the BILLIONS of gallons of oil being pumped by THOUSANDS of platforms, the accidents are few and far between. Of the accidents listed, a few seem to be caused by terrorism or other vandalism/criminal activity and a few seem to be caused by volcano's and hurricanes, which we don't seem to have off 10 miles off of the NJ coast as far as I know. My point is that it seems relatively safe to drill for oil.

Another interesting claim is that we shouldn't start drilling for oil now because it'll take 10 years to get oil out of the those wells. This is interesting for a few reasons.

First, Mr. Lautenberg is OLD. In my opinion, Lautenberg is indeed TOO OLD to run for office and NJ should elect someone who is going to be alive 10 years from now to make decisions that will impact the rest of us 10 years from now. It's not that I wish ill upon Mr. Lautenberg, but he is OLD++ and while I have to plan for the future, probably another 50-60 years or so, Mr. Lautenberg is probably planning for another 2 or 3, never mind the 6 that is a full term in US Senate.

Second, plans for the Lincoln Tunnel were announced in 1930. In 1937, the first tube was open 7 years later. Despite a war, a second tunnel was open another 8 years later in 45. A third tube was planned in 51 and completed in 57, 6 years. The Empire State Building was built in just over a year. Yankee stadium took 11 months to build. It took 4 years to build the George Washington Bridge. My point? It's 60+ years later and it takes 10 years to build something we needed 30 years ago? When my boss needs something, I get told "have it done yesterday!". We the tax payers are the boss, judging by the comments at the APP and NJ.com, I'd say we're saying "have it done yesterday!". There is no reason that with all of the technology and advancements we've made that oil production can not be completed and in progress, along with new refineries, in a year. If our politicians are claiming 10 years, they mean 15 - it took that long to build the Brooklyn Bridge over 100 years ago - have we not figured out hot to be more productive in the past 100 years?

Third, drilling for oil should not delay any wind farm plans off of the coast. Oil/Gasoline and electricity are two different things. Don't be confused and don't sacrifice one project for the other, we need both.

Fourth, even if it DOES take 10 years to get oil out of those wells, are we to think that we won't need oil in 10 years? We've been stuck with the crappy Internal Combustion Engine for over 150 years at this point and it doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. We have jets and a space/rocket program that needs oil/fuel and a military spread all over the world that needs oil/fuel both to complete missions and to resupply. Even if we really can get by without more oil this year, and maybe next, unless someone figures out that perpetual motion machine or nuclear fission sometime today, June 8th, 2008, I'd say we may as well plan for 10 years out.

In my tradition of issuing challenges as if I'm more than an Average No One - I say let's put the question the ballot in November "Should NJ allow drilling for oil off of the NJ coast starting immediately? Yes or No". I could be wrong, but I'll guess that "Yes" will win by an overwhelming majority in a VERY high turnout election. A second question "Should NJ allow wind farms to be built off of the NJ coast starting immediately? Yes or No " and I'll again place a bet on Yes. I challenge our elected leaders to put it on the ballot.

P.S. - Yes I know, I must hate the environment, I must own stocks in BigOil, I must have something to gain, I'm part of the problem, what we really need is alternative sources of energy, the rest of the world economies would colapse if we didn't buy oil from them, save the turtles, save tibet, blah blah blah, I know I know...

1 comment:

Melissa L. Gaffney said...

Gosh I love Senator Lautenberg ever so much.