Friday, August 8, 2008

At least it's Friday... Updates on Ruth and George

I've been busy with work so I haven't been able to post updates or keep up with the news and happenings. A few items worth noting before I get back to work:

1) I received a total of 3 emails from people asking for an update on Ruth, the old lady neighbor. No good news really. Senior services called me back to let me know that they stopped by Ruth's house and everything was in order; working utilities, she had food in the fridge, water and knew how to prepare meals. She also was able to tell the man who stopped by her name, address, where she was, the date, time, her kids. In fact, the gentleman who called me back insisted that nothing was wrong with Ruth other than maybe a hip problem she was complaining about. Odd.

I still haven't received a call back from her son(s) HOWEVER, after leaving a message with his receptionist that I would be kind enough to drop Ruth off at Keith's place as she asks most every morning, Keith did extended Joy (the nurse)'s hours, which seems to help, if not simply by allowing me to have a peaceful lunch, if that doesn't seem selfish.

I've been continuing to do my part to stop by after work when I walk my dog to answer her question "where am I?" and "I haven't eaten", etc and she hasn't wondered across the street recently, so I guess that is good and is a sign of some progress from the nurse being around later in the day.

2) If you recall, my old pal George Calleia was recently found guilty of murder. George was sentenced today to 50 years. Google Alerts hit me with the Star Ledger article this afternoon:


Holmdel man gets 50 years in wife's murder
by Guy Sterling/The Star-Ledger
Friday August 08, 2008, 11:27 AM
A Holmdel man convicted of killing his
wife and leaving her body at the PNC Arts Center was sentenced to 50 years in
state prison this morning.
Superior Court Judge Paul Chaiet, sitting in
Freehold, sentenced George Calleia, 46, to the lengthy stentence after he was
convicted io killing his wife, Susan, who was 43. Friends of Susan Calleia had
testified she wanted to divorce her husband, a wealthy software salesman, but
that he tried to persuade her to stay in the marriage. She was killed the night
she planned to attend a divorce seminar in Summit.

During
the trial, Executive Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Richard Incremona
argued Calleia strangled and beat his wife because he could not face the end of
their 13-year marriage.
Prosecutors said Calleia took the body to the PNC
Arts center and staged the body to look like a sexual assault took place.
The
couple has an 11-year-old daughter.
"When the defendant killed his wife, he
did not kill one person. He killed a family and the daughter has no father or
mother because her father could not accept her mother's wishes," Incremona said
at the sentencing.
...if anyone knows what a "stentence" please advise. I'm sure the newspaper publisher and editor would have caught a typo if they meant "sentence"...

I also received a Google Alert for this GANNET entry which has some more information:

Holmdel businessman gets 50 years for wife's
murder


FREEHOLD —A judge this morning sentenced a wealthy,
Holmdel businessman to 50 yearsin prison for murdering his wife — a crime a
prosecutor said was fueled by greed and destroyed the childhood of the couple's
young daughter.

Superior Court Judge Paul F. Chaeit imposed the prison
term on George Calleia ofTranquility Court for the 2005 murder of his wife,
Susan. The judge ordered that the46-year-old software salesman serve 85 percent
of that term, or 42 years, six months and 2 days, before he can be considered
for release on parole.Executive Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Richard
Incremona asked for the 50-year prison term, saying that George Calleia not only
killed his wife, but destroyed a family, leaving their 11-year-old daughter
motherless."When the defendant killed his wife, he didn't just kill one person,
he killed afamily," Incremona told the judge. "He killed the security and
comfort of a littlegirl. In short, he killed a childhood."It can never be made
right for her," Incremona said, explaining that the couple'sdaughter will have
to live with the fact that she witnessed her mother's murder.Defense attorney
Edward C. Bertucio said that Calleia had no prior criminal record and continues
to maintain his innocence. Calleia, displaying no emotion during the sentencing
hearing, declined to address the judge."This is a man who led an absolutely
crime-free life," Bertucio said of his client."He was by all outward appearances
a model provider, a model parent."...Mr. Calleia continues to deny the state's
version of events," said Bertucio,who asked the judge to throw out the verdict
returned by a jury on May 23.Chaiet said that although the case against Calleia
was circumstantial, it was strong, and the verdict was appropriate."What we have
is a man...who killed his wife because of the concern that she wasgoing to leave
him," Chaiet said of Calleia."He killed the beloved mother of his own child,
leaving that child motherless,"Chaiet said. "That's never going to change. You
can't replace a mother's love."A number of Susan Calleia's friends who attended
the murder trial sat tearfully tolisten to the sentence."I think he got what he
deserved," one of them, Karen Medlin of Marlboro, saidafterward."She was a
wonderful mother, and I'm glad that's what they focused on today,"Medlin said of
the victim.The partially clad body of the 43-year-old, stay-at-home mother was
discovered in the cargo compartment of her Lexus sport utility vehicle on Oct.
22, 2005, the day after George Calleia called police to report his wife was
missing. The vehicle was found parked in a remote area of the PNC Bank Arts
Center in Holmdel by police who were searching for the missing woman. The victim
had been beaten and strangled.At a three-week trial before Chaiet, Incremona
argued that the scene had been staged by George Calleia to make it appear the
crime was a random sexual attack. He argued that George Calleia killed his wife
because she wanted a divorce, and he didn't want to divide his million-dollar
home and savings with her. The couple's daughter, who witnessed her parents
fighting the last time Susan Calleia was seen alive, was 8 years old at the
time.


Sad, but like a big kid, I didn't cry when I saw the news. I still haven't spoken to or seen George, but maybe I'll work up the courage to go visit him one of these days soon. I wish his daughter well and him well and hope that the future brings brighter days, I mean, there isn't much to say here...

Anyhow. if work slows down next week I'll get back to reading the news and blogs and posting my $.02, as well as concluding my "Running For Congress" saga.

As as a completely separate note, this weeks "Good Karma Points" were earned by saving a little boxer puppy that was running through the streets - I recognized the pup as I see her every day when I walk my puppy, so I brought her home. And I earned some additional Karma by setting up an interview for my buddy and former coworker, who was laid off a few months ago, which resulted in him getting a gig here.... but what good are Karma points.... despite the 0% financing on Corvettes right now and seemingly good karma.... I still don't have a pimp C6... maybe I should have taken some illegal campaign contribution like Amy Mallet to fund one? (HAH!)

"I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign? " - Ferris Bueller reference!

That's all for now... it's my GF's b-day this weekend so HAPPY BIRFFFFFFFDAY CELINA! I LOVE YOU!

No comments: