Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Those damn Geese, again...

While browsing the worst newspaper ever to see if they've decided to cover any real news lately, I came across the story of a Manasquan man accused of fatally shooting Canada goose

Some of you might remember that I too complained about these awful creatures and noted them in my platform while running for congress last year.

Anyhow, the story is typical APP junk, BUT deep in those comments were the following two replies that made me call my girlfriend into the room to share the chuckle...

Honker wrote:
David Martens violated the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and be required to seek anger management counseling. Red flags are oten ignored. His intentional, malicious behavior is indicitive of a more serious underlying problem. It's hard to imagine that in a supposedly civilized society, the mere crime of living and doing what comes naturally could exact such a ruthless punishment.

(uhhh... boo for "honker")

SoSickOfMorons wrote:
Replying to Honker:
The birds aren't living up to their part of the treaty.

...my girlfriend didn't see the same humor value that I saw. 

In any case, I don't know what the penalty is for a single count of animal cruelty these days but then I'm not sure that Mr. Martens did anything cruel. I mean, some birds are shot every day, others just have their heads lopped off and feathers plucked only to be filleted and put on the shelves at the local ShopRite or thrown into a vat of boiling oil at the local KFC. I don't think I should have to say it, but we're talking about a wild bird here, not someone's pet dog or cat. A wild bird was killed, not a cute, little, innocent water rat.

In other news... I stepped on 6 ants today, by accident of course. Please do not call me cruel.

No comments: