Monday, June 6, 2011

I speak for the Whole Republican Party* - depending on who you ask.

Follow along for a minute.
I don't really follow any sports, I catch the evening news' 2 minutes of "sports" at the end of the telecast and I see the headline of the Sports section of the paper before I throw it into the "recycle" pile... BUT I'm a BIG Yankees fan, because I said I am. Further, not only am I a BIG Yankees fan, I'm now part of the team! How you ask? Well I signed a paper that confirms I'm a member of the Yankee team, it was that easy! No one checked my skill-set, no one asked why I'm a member of the Yankee team, no one asked if I know any Yankee team history or share the Yankee team's winning vision, Yankee leadership wanted more people on the Yankee team and accept any and all offers, no pre-qualification, come and go as you please, stand, or don't stand for anything. And it's great, once you're a member of the Yankee team, by signing a little paper and mailing it in, you can say things like "we won!" or "our captain is great" or "management needs to get their heads on straight!" or "we played great but came up short, we'll try harder next time" - you get to speak for the whole Yankee team and represent them to your friends, family and neighbors and because you're signed on as a member of the Yankee team, they know, or think, you speak for the Yankee team.

Now let me make a few edits....See where I'm going with this?

I don't really follow any politics, I catch the evening news' 2 minutes of "politics" at the end of the telecast and I see the headline of the Local section of the paper before I throw it into the "recycle" pile... BUT I'm a BIG Republican fan, because I said I am. Further, not only am I a BIG Republican fan, I'm now part of the team! How you ask? Well I signed a paper that confirms I'm a member of the Republican team, it was that easy! No one checked my skill-set, no one asked why I'm a member of the Republican team, no one asked if I know any Republican team history or share the Republican team's winning vision, Republican leadership wanted more people on the Republican team and accept any and all offers, no pre-qualification, come and go as you please, stand, or don't stand for anything. And it's great, once you're a member of the Republican team, by signing a little paper and mailing it in, you can say things like "we won!" or "our Governor is great" or "management needs to get their heads on straight!" or "we played great but came up short, we'll try harder next time" - you get to speak for the whole Republican team and represent them to your friends, family and neighbors and because you're signed on as a member of the Republican team, they know, or think, you speak for the Republican team.

Sadly, what I describe isn't far off of what I've found the local party structures to be, not just in Long Branch, but in many towns across NJ. Public [union] workers, who stand to receive significant unused vacation/sick payouts, including already overpaid railroad workers, are "Republicans". Discriminatory and wasteful UEZ directors and administrators who believe their local town shouldn't have to share the burden of a 7% sales tax like everyone else in the state are "Republicans". Pro-choice representatives who spend tax-payer money on health clinics that provide care to women, but not men, are "Republicans". Overzealous religious fanatics who want to impose their church's beliefs and morals rather than protect the freedoms granted to us by the Constitution are "Republicans". Local small business owners who have lived in town for decades and know everyone and just want the kids to "get off of their lawn" are "Republicans". And even me with all of the things I've said on my blog and stand for in person, make me a "Republican". Good or bad, no one seems to be checking the skill-set on any of us, I think the party is just happy to have us, sometimes.

And all of these people, self-included, all really exist in "our" party. And I say "our" party because by signing a voter registration card, you (probably, if you're reading this blog anyway) and I are part of the Republican team, and without any certifying us as good team member, we're now the guys. And don't be confused, I'm certain that the Democrats are no better. I'm certain from conversations with enough of them that most stand for nothing or are afraid to stand for anything.

And here in Long Branch, just like may other towns, many of these people exist and one vote, if that, made them the voice of the party, in their minds; typical mob mentality rules. "Republicans" are angry at me for standing up for Republican principles and going after those who I perceive to not be standing for Republican principles despite being in a position where they themselves claim to speak for the party, based on their one vote. I asked about Republican principles in an email to a Freeholder candidate, never recieved a reply. I asked the same question at a Freeholder candidate forum to the same candidate, and the candidate looked at me a bit confused, some in the audience didn't seem to think my questions about abortion and gun rights were important questions to ask a "Republican", they seemed to think less when I asked the question a second time to a second candidate, who gave a much better answer; you point me to a higher bar to have a candidate hurdle as a gauge.

But I'm digressing as usual - the point is that many "Republicans" here, and probably elsewhere, often get "mad" at me for standing for what I believe to be Republican principles, likewise, I'm equally mad at them for claiming to be Republicans and then not standing for any Republican principles at all, or rather, not standing for ANY principles at all - just hiding in their own homes complaining to themselves in the mirror. They are mad that I voice my opinions and then I work to see that my opinions are known, I'm mad because they attack me as a person without standing for a principles of their own. And I think what hurts their feelings even more is I'm brave, or crazy, enough to use my real name and not hide behind some app.com anonymous screen name to voice my opinion, and THEN to top it off, I even try to convince apathetic Republican voters that SOMEONE is often bucking the system and TRYING to represent the Republican principles that they presumably stand-for and we need to work to remove the not-so-Republicans from the Republicans ranks rather than sit by and not vote and not be engaged in the process. And the sad truth is that MOST people in the party are actually good Republicans who really stand for good Republican principles, but for whatever reason, many don't make their voices heard, they hide behind anonymity, they hide in general and don't show their passion to making our local, state and federal representation "better".

In any case, I know I've been away from the blog for a while. Being a good Republican committeeman, I've distributed 500 Primary Election Remind postcards and refrigerator magnets to my Republican neighbors in my local district and neighbor districts over the past 4 weekends, rain and cold slowed me down along with some personal matters. And after I spent several weekends walking through Long Branch to rally voters, I voluntarily power-washed a woman in my district's house after I walked up to her in her driveway to hand out my wares and saw her trying to use a broom to remove some mold and fungus from her shingles. With "community organizer" skills like mine, I should join the other 500 "Republicans" running for President!

Anyhow, my blog is important, to me, and hopefully to you my readers. It has become a powerful way for me to tell my story and promote the principles that I stand for, and I believe Republicans endorse. My ramblings seem to attract a crowd. I've been asked, or rather told, to "keep the committee out of it" and to "go start your own party". I will not. Despite what some people may think, that I somehow speak for the party, I speak only for myself. My friends, family and neighbors ask and demand that I remain honest and true to the principles that I've always believed in and stand for, the principles I've voiced on this very blog and the principles that make me part of the Republican team. If you don't like what I have to say.... go start your own blog! And use your tax-payer funded union job income and unused sick time payouts to promote your own principles... if you have any principles because you certainly haven't demonstrated or told of any.

With Primary day upon us, I hope that I did enough work to energize voters to come out despite there being no contest, just to show their support for our party and our candidates. I think we have good candidates overall. I think if more people were willing to stand up for what they believe in, we'd have even better candidates. I made some phone calls to friends, family and Republicans who I've met through my door walks to see if any of the candidates or any of my fellow committee people, have reached out to them... I wasn't disappointed, only because I didn't expect anyone to make the effort, sad really... apathy makes sense, sometimes..

In any case, Tuesday June 7, 2011.... primary day... go vote!

PS. - Did you know "menorial" day just passed? The "boys and girls" were reminded... I forgot to pass the reminder along... Hope you had a memorable Memorial Day and remembered to thank a vet.

No comments: