Thursday, July 14, 2011

Long Branch Police Captain Gil Horrach Makes Up New Laws

It's no big secret, I'm a legal gun owner. Every gun I own has been legally purchased, with all of the proper permits, through all of the proper channels. As I've noted recently, I have had so many background checks done on me that the police could save money by having a Black Helicopter and some guys in suits follow me around 24/7., and I also noted that getting a permit in NJ is always a problem, it's just predictable at this point.

So back on June 30th, I submitted another Handgun Purchase Permit Application to my local Long Branch Police Department, John something handles that stuff. The form, and law, requires the names and addresses of two non-relatives who are acquainted with me. I don't know why the law asks for this, it seems a bit silly really. The forms they mail out ask questions that the police should already know the answers to, ie, am I a drunk, domestic abuser, convict, trying to overthrow the US government.... well I mean I am a Republican... ahh anyhow, let's focus here, this is serious stuff.

So in the past I'd always given my girlfriend, same address with a different last name as one reference and my sister-in-law, SAME last name, different address; I've never had a problem. The LBPD sends out their little letters, two people who know me well send back their answers, I get my permit, legally and lawfully make a purchase, and all is well in the world.

This time, I figured I'd change things up a little. Rather than give my sister-in-law's name, I decided to give my GIRLFRIEND's son's name. Now his last name is different from my lastname, AND his last name is different from my GIRLFRIEND's last name. Got it? Three last names, one residence.

So let me quote the law.
states:
N.J.A.C.13:54-1.4(c) The applicant shall provide the names and addresses of two reputable citizens personally acquainted with him as references.

Somehow, the State Police then changed the law on their own and the form http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf says:
(29) Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of two reputable persons who are presently acquainted with the applicant, other than relatives:
So "other than relatives" seems to have been added, arbitrarily, by the State Police. No worries for ol' Jimmy, there is no legal relationship between my girlfriend and I, I certainly can't file a joint "married" return with her and she can't collect my SS benefits, even healthcare/patient access is a problem for us because, you guessed it, WE ARE NOT RELATED BY ANY LAW. Likewise, I certainly can't tell the IRS or NJ Div of Taxation that my girlfriend's son is MY dependent, they won't have that, and I can't get access to certain information of his at school, or the doctor, because again, WE ARE NOT RELATED BY ANY LAW.

Yet, as you may have guessed by now, "John" over at Long Branch Police want two new names at two different addresses. Why? Well Captain Horrach is going to explain it to me if he ever answers his phone. John says his instructions from Captain Horrach are to get people "at another residence". I'm sorry sir, I just don't see that in the law.

And let's think about it for a second here, who knows me better than the people I live with? Shouldn't the police make sure that the people I cohabitate with aren't drug dealers, gang members, terrorists... or trying to overthrow the US Government? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for them to contact the people in the house where the firearm will be stored to verify that *I* am a "reputable person" and THEY are reputable people as well? So John says to me "well you can fill out the forms in other writing and send them back"... well I could, but that would be forgery, right John? And if you think I've committed such fraud, do please give me my day in court and prove your case. In the mean, how about you and your Captain follow the letter of the law and stop harassing me.

I hope Dave Rible funds your pensions so you two can retire soon!

PS - I should note, I did reach out to Dave Rible and Mary Pat Angelini's office for clarification on the law. I DID receive a call back from their office and upon first review, it seems I've not violated the letter of the law but they continue looking into this for me. I've also checked with a few attorneys, all are in agreement that in the State of NJ, or anywhere in the US, to the best of their knowledge/off the record, my GIRLFRIEND, and HER SON, are indeed, NOT RELATIVES.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into a bigger problem.... and I sure hope that the local police aren't arbitrarily making up the laws as they go along. Didn't they take some oath?

BTW - I think this is Captain Gil Horrach - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/gil-horrach/25/804/723 The APP's DataUniverse isn't working well at the moment, I wonder how much one gets paid to make up the laws? It surely should be more than the State Legislators who have to write the laws...

UPDATE - 4:00PM July 14:
As an update already...

So I had a long talk with Captain Gil... basically he's not going to not even bother doing an investigation and just wants two different names, or maybe he'll only want one more, he's not sure what law he's going to make up yet.

He says I'm welcome to comply with his demands, but he can't tell me which law gives him authority to make additional demands. He tried to quote N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 Prerequisites for a permit to purchase handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card

but what he read to me is different from the law on the NJ State Police website: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

He says I'd be more than welcome to Appeal to Judge Destefano WHEN turns me down, I think that's a threat.

Then he immediately got all defense and asked if I was taping him because if I was I was violating the law. I told him I was pretty sure that I only need my own consent (one party) to record, but I wasn't... I probably should have been.

Gil also started telling me how great of a person he is, that he's been doing this job for 34 years. I tried to tell him that I'm a great person too, candidate for US Congress back in 08, a committeeman, FID holder, CCW holder in 3 states, never broke a law in my life, graduate of Rutgers, 2nd in my class in High School... he didn't care, hopefully he investigates and see's I'm not just a good person, but a great person!

Ohhh, and then he started telling me that because of gun crimes in Arizona, and now this thing in NY... the story went no where, but he started telling it. I'm not sure how I'm lumped in with those criminals just because I legally submit a handgun purchase permit.

Sad really.... and let's be honest, I could give thousands of names. Any of my fellow Republicans I think would vouch for me, I hope, my neighbors, my cousin's spouses, my girlfriend's family members, the guys at FBody.com in my nationwide car club... but again, WHO KNOWS ME BETTER AND WHO BETTER TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS THAN THE PEOPLE I LIVE WITH???

Garbage, and Gil knows it.


2 comments:

James Hogan said...

As an update already...

So I had a long talk with Captain Gil... basically he's not going to not even bother doing an investigation and just wants two different names, or maybe he'll only want one more, he's not sure what law he's going to make up yet.

He says I'm welcome to comply with his demands, but he can't tell me which law gives him authority to make additional demands. He tried to quote N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 Prerequisites for a permit to purchase handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card

but what he read to me is different from the law on the NJ State Police website: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

He says I'd be more than welcome to Appeal to Judge Destefano WHEN turns me down, I think that's a threat.

Then he immediately got all defense and asked if I was taping him because if I was I was violating the law. I told him I was pretty sure that I only need my own consent (one party) to record, but I wasn't... I probably should have been.

Gil also started telling me how great of a person he is, that he's been doing this job for 34 years. I tried to tell him that I'm a great person too, candidate for US Congress back in 08, a committeeman, FID holder, CCW holder in 3 states, never broke a law in my life, graduate of Rutgers, 2nd in my class in High School... he didn't care, hopefully he investigates and see's I'm not just a good person, but a great person!

Ohhh, and then he started telling me that because of gun crimes in Arizona, and now this thing in NY... the story went no where, but he started telling it. I'm not sure how I'm lumped in with those criminals just because I legally submit a handgun purchase permit.

Sad really.... and let's be honest, I could give thousands of names. Any of my fellow Republicans I think would vouch for me, I hope, my neighbors, my cousin's spouses, my girlfriend's family members, the guys at FBody.com in my nationwide car club... but again, WHO KNOWS ME BETTER AND WHO BETTER TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS THAN THE PEOPLE I LIVE WITH???

Garbage, and Gil knows it.

Chris said...

When he started telling you "that because of gun crimes in Arizona, and now this thing in NY..." I would've interrupted him with "and btw, what's up with that Rodney King?" :-)